Dinner Tonight: July 7, 2021
Turkey Pesto Paninis
The Thriving Home shared this recipe with us, and they note that these Turkey Pesto Paninis can even be a freezer meal! Just individually wrap the sandwiches (before cooking), place them in a container or zip-top bag, and freeze. Then when you’re ready to eat them, defrost in the fridge or microwave before cooking the paninis.
The recipe’s creators also note that you don’t need a panini press or any special equipment to make these sandwiches. All you need is some way to weight the tops of the sandwiches while cooking. A heavy skillet works great!
- 6 ciabatta rolls, or 12 slices of sourdough or crusty Italian bread
- 6 slices Provolone cheese
- 1/2 cup pesto (store bought or homemade)
- 1/4 cup sundried tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1 pound all-natural deli-sliced turkey
- 2-3 tablespoons softened butter
- Build the Paninis: Butter the outside of both pieces of bread. Spread pesto on the inside of both pieces. To the bottom bun, add 1 slice of Provolone cheese, about 2-3 slices of turkey, and 2 teaspoons of chopped sun-dried tomatoes. Place other bun on top. If you’re freezing the sandwiches for later use, wrap them individually, transfer to a container or zip-top bag, and freeze.
- Cook the Paninis: Heat a skillet over medium-high heat. Place the sandwich(es) in the hot pan and press down with a spatula or another heavy-bottomed pan. Once the bread gets toasted on the first side and the cheese starts to melt, flip to the other side. Press the sandwich down again. Remove the sandwich from the pan once it’s golden brown on the second side, after a minute or two.