Quick and Easy Pesto
Did you know you can make a quick and easy pesto with any leafy greens you have on hand? Basil is the classic flavor, but you can also use spinach, kale, arugula or a mixture of greens! We even have a recipe for carrot top pesto that’s fun to try for a different twist.
- 2 cups fresh basil leaves, or any other greens you choose
- 1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/3 cup toasted nuts — pine nuts are classic, but you can also use walnuts, pistachios, pecans, almonds, or substitute pumpkin seeds for a nut-free version
- 1 tsp salt
- At least 1/3 cup olive oil, more as needed
- Using a food processor or blender, puree the greens, cheese, garlic and nuts until mostly smooth.
- Add the salt and, with the food processor running, stream in olive oil until you have a pesto sauce that’s the right consistency for your liking. You’ll most likely need at least 1/3 cup to bring the sauce together.
- Pesto is great on pasta, but also on sandwiches, mixed with cream cheese or goat cheese for a spread on crackers or a dip for veggies, stirred into soup or salad dressings…the possibilities are endless! It will last in the refrigerator for up to a week, or can be frozen in airtight containers for up to 6 months.