Dinner Tonight: October 14, 2018
Pasta with Tomatoes and Chickpeas
This recipe is from the Vermont WIC program, and appears in their Eat Well Cookbook.
- 1 pound ripe, fresh tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- Salt and pepper (to taste)
- 1 teaspoon balsamic vinegar (optional)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil (or 1 teaspoon dried basil)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 (15-ounce) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 pound whole wheat pasta (any shape), uncooked
- 1/4 cup shredded cheese (try cheddar, Monterey Jack, parmesan or feta)
- Combine tomatoes, garlic, salt, pepper, balsamic vinegar, basil, and olive oil in a medium bowl. Let sit for 15 minutes.
- Stir in chickpeas.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pot of water to a rolling boil. Add a generous amount of salt and the pasta. Cook al dente, until the pasta is firm to the bite. Drain.
- Toss with pasta with chickpea sauce, sprinkle on cheese, and serve.