Dinner Tonight: May 3, 2021
Oodles of Noodles
This recipe comes from the USDA Recipes for Healthy Kids cookbook.
- 2¾ cups Penne pasta, whole-wheat, dry (11 oz)
- 1 ½ Tbsp Extra virgin olive oil
- 2 ¼ cups Fresh grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 ½ tsp Dried basil
- ¾ tsp Sea salt
- ¼ tsp Ground black pepper
- 1 Tbsp Fresh garlic, minced
- 3 Tbsp Whole-wheat flour
- 2 ⅓ cups Low-sodium vegetable broth
- 4 cups Fresh Swiss chard, stems removed, chopped
- In a large pot, bring 2 quarts water to a boil. Gradually stir in pasta and return to a boil. Cook uncovered for about 8-10 minutes until tender. Do not overcook. Drain well.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add half of tomatoes and cook 2-3 minutes until skins soften. Do not overcook. Reserve remaining tomatoes for step 4. Add basil, salt, pepper, and garlic. Stir.
- Sprinkle flour over tomatoes. Cook for 30 seconds over medium heat until mixture becomes thick. Add vegetable broth. Bring to a boil and then immediately reduce to low heat.
- Add Swiss chard and remaining tomatoes. Simmer uncovered over low heat for 1-2 minutes or until Swiss chard is wilted. Pour over pasta. Serve hot.