According to this article, the dogs at one home were covered by fleas and secured by heavy chains connected to car axles buried in the ground. Other pit bulls were so malnourished their ribs were sticking out and others had bad wounds that required emergency care.
Use any of the following questions to spark a discussion.
- Do you think it’s OK to make dogs or any animals fight? Why or why not?
- In the story, Sherriff David Sutton says, “Those animals can’t speak like you and I.” If they could speak, what do you think they would say?
- Does it matter in this story that the dogs were Pit bulls, a breed that is often stereotyped as dangerous? Explain your answer.
- Have you ever come upon a wounded or abused animal? What did you do? If not, what do you think you would do?
- What’s your favorite animal? Why?