It’s officially back-to-school time, and families are running down the checklists: School supplies? Check! New shoes? Check! First day photos? Check! Great dinner conversation….?
While parents definitely want details, it can be hard to get past the usual “How did it go?” types of questions. So we’ve compiled this Top 10 List of great conversation starters you can use to get everybody talking about back-to-school:
Top 10 Back-to-School Conversation Starters
- What’s one thing you learned today that you think I might not know?
- Who are you most excited to see at school? Least excited? Why?
- If you could change one thing about school, what would it be?
- Think of a project or assignment you really enjoyed. Why did you enjoy it?
- If you could make the rules at school, what would your top 3 rules be?
- Tell me about what lunch (or recess) was like today.
- What motivates you to work hard at school? What doesn’t motivate you, and how can we change it?
- If you could take a class in anything, what would it be?
- Who is the best teacher you have this year (or have ever had)? What makes them a great teacher?
- What makes you feel good about yourself when you’re at school?