Dinner Tonight: October 7, 2019
Spinach and Feta Cheese Pizza-dilla
It’s a quesadilla. It’s a pizza. It’s a…pizza-dilla! This quick dish is a good meatless meal and also great for building kids’ kitchen skills as they grow. If you aren’t fans of feta cheese, you can leave it out and add more mozzarella, but we like the salty, tangy flavor the feta cheese adds.
Makes 4 (6 inch) quesadillas
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen chopped spinach, thawed
- 1/4 cup diced onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, plus more for greasing the skillet as needed
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 8 (6-inch) flour tortillas
- 1/2 cup marinara sauce
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta cheese
- Place the thawed spinach in a clean, lint-free towel or layers of paper towels and squeeze it dry over the sink or a large bowl. Get as much liquid out as you can so your pizza-dillas don’t get soggy.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, warm 2 tablespoons of olive oil and saute the onion and garlic just until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the spinach, stir well, and cook for 2-3 minutes to warm the spinach through. Sprinkle with salt and pepper, stir, and transfer the spinach mixture to a bowl.
- Wipe out the skillet, add a light coating of olive oil (just a drizzle to ensure your tortillas don’t stick – you can omit this if you are confident in your skillet!) and lay a tortilla into the pan.
- Spread 2 tablespoons of marinara sauce over the tortilla, then sprinkle with 1/4 cup of mozzarella cheese and a quarter of the spinach mixture. Sprinkle with 2 tablespoons of crumbled feta cheese and top with another tortilla, pressing down lightly.
- Cook the quesadilla until golden brown and crisp underneath, about 3-5 minutes. Carefully flip to the second side and continue to cook until the mozzarella cheese is melted and the second side of the quesadilla is crisp. Remove the quesadilla to a rack and repeat the process with the remaining ingredients to make four quesadillas.
- Serve immediately, with additional marinara for dipping if desired.