Dinner Tonight: March 4, 2021
Ground Beef Stroganoff
This easy and budget-friendly recipe originated on the blog Real Life Delicious.
You can substitute ground turkey for the beef in this stroganoff, and while the flavor wouldn’t be quite the same, it’s okay to skip the sherry if your family doesn’t use alcohol in cooking. Good non-alcoholic substitutions include apple cider and brewed coffee.
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1 onion, chopped
- 8 oz. fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1-2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 cup beef or chicken stock, or reserved pasta water
- Up to 1/2 cup sour cream or creme fraiche
- Splash of sherry
- Pinch of salt and fresh ground pepper
- 1 package wide egg noodles, pappardelle, or whole wheat linguine
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and cook pasta according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
- In a large skillet or Dutch oven, brown the meat with the salt & pepper and a pinch or two of paprika until cooked through. Drain the extra fat from the pan if necessary (it probably won’t be if you’re using lean beef).
- Add the chopped onions and garlic and cook until softened and translucent.
- Add the mushrooms and cook for another 3-5 minutes.
- Stir in the liquid (stock or water), sherry, and about 2 tbs of the sour cream.
- Cook for another 5 minutes and season to taste. If it seems like it wants to be a little creamier, add more sour cream.
- Serve over the reserved noodles.