Dinner Tonight: July 11, 2018
Simple Bruschetta Chicken Skillet
This recipe was provided to us by Brenda Thompson, blogger and recipe developer at Meal Planning Magic.
- 2 Roma tomatoes, diced OR 1 can diced tomatoes, drained
- ¾ cup shredded Italian blend cheese
- 1 ½ tablespoons dried basil
- 6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 14.5 ounce can tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 cups panko bread crumbs
- ¼ cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon Italian herb blend (or use half and half dried basil and oregano)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- In a medium bowl, stir together diced tomatoes, cheese and basil. Set aside.
- In small bowl, combine panko bread crumbs and parmesan cheese. Set aside.
- Pound chicken breasts to ½-inch thickness. I like to put the chicken in a resealable bag and use a meat mallet to pound the chicken for the least mess. If you don’t have a meat mallet, you can also use a rolling pin.
- In large skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add chicken and saute 1-2 minutes on each side to sear and create a golden brown color. Remove from heat and set aside.
- Combine tomato sauce and garlic in skillet; add chicken. Top with tomato, cheese and basil mixture, pressing onto chicken.
- Bring sauce to boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and cook 15 minutes or until chicken has reached a safe internal temperature of 165°F.
- Top with breadcrumb cheese mixture just before serving. We like to serve this with a wild rice pilaf and garden salad.