Dinner Tonight: April 16, 2021
Do It Yourself Salad
This endlessly customizable dinner concept is a great way to combat food waste, use up leftover odds and ends and keep the whole family happy with a healthy and totally personalized meal! Feel free to substitute any leftover cooked meats, fresh vegetables, cheeses, dressings, nuts, seeds or fruits you have in the house to make your salads interesting and nutritious.
- 8 cups leafy salad greens, washed
- 8-12 oz. leftover cooked chicken, ham, turkey or fish, or a combination (substitute beans/lentils/tofu as desired)
- 4 oz. cheese
- 1 medium apple
- 1 bunch grapes
- 1/2 small cucumber
- 1 pint grape tomatoes or 1 large tomato
- 2 medium carrots
- 2 hard-boiled eggs (optional)
- 1/2 cup almonds or walnuts (substitute pumpkin or sunflower seeds as desired)
- Salad dressing of your choice
- Pile greens into a large bowl or platter.
- Cut meats into bite-sized pieces. Cube or shred cheeses. Arrange in small bowls or on a plate.
- Prepare the other vegetables and fruits as needed — dice apples, slice cucumbers, cut grapes and tomatoes in half as needed, slice carrots — and place in small bowls or arrange in piles on a platter.
- Cut hard boiled eggs in quarters and place in a small bowl.
- Place nuts or seeds in a small bowl.
- Set out your family’s favorite salad dressings and let everyone make their own salads!