Everyone wants to be homecoming king or queen, right? Not so in the case of Jesse Cooper, Drew Gibbs and Zeke Grissom, three students at Community High School in Unionville, Tennessee who were all nominated for homecoming king. The three boys decided that no matter who won, they would give the crown to Scotty Maloney, a beloved classmate with a neurological condition that inhibits learning and speech.
“I’ve been blessed with so many things,” said Jesse, who won the popular vote for king. “I just wanted Scotty to experience something great in his high school days.”
Read the full story here. This is a touching and inspiring story that offers much to discuss around the topics of kindness, selflessness, empathy and difference.
1. Would you want to be friends with kids like Jesse, Drew and Zeke? Why?
2. Has someone ever done something really nice for you? What was it?
3. We all have different skills and abilities. When you meet someone with different abilities than you, how do you treat them?
4. Jesse Cooper says that he has been “blessed with so many things.” What things do you feel lucky to have in your life?
5. Have you ever done something really nice for someone, like giving them a present they really wanted or helping them? How did they react? How did it make you feel?