Dinner Tonight: September 14, 2020
Sweet Potato Peanut Curry
This recipe was shared with us by our friends at The Kids Cook Monday. They note that you can substitute equal amounts of butternut squash for the sweet potato in this soup if desired!
- 2 large sweet potatoes
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 small yellow onion
- 3 cups canned diced tomatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 teaspoons curry powder
- 1/2 cup smooth peanut butter pepper, to taste
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- fresh cilantro leaves, chopped for garnish
- peanuts, chopped for garnish
- Scrub the potatoes well and prick them in 5 to 6 places with a fork. Microwave on high until just cooked through, about 7 to 10 minutes. Set aside to cool, then peel and chop into bite-size pieces.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in the large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the onion and sauté until it just begins to brown, about 2 to 4 minutes. Add the garlic and stir for 1 minute. Stir in the diced tomatoes, curry powder, and salt. Adjust the heat so it boils gently for about 10 minutes.
- Add half of the sweet potatoes to the pot and stir. Place the rest of the sweet potatoes with the broth and peanut butter in a blender and puree until completely smooth. Add the puree to the pot and stir well to combine. Season with pepper to taste and cook until hot. Ladle the curry into bowls, top with cilantro leaves and chopped peanuts to taste and enjoy.