Dinner Tonight: November 1, 2022
Chicken Fajita Pasta
Our friend Dr. Kristin Saxena, pediatrician and host of the Feeding the Family podcast, shared this recipe for Chicken Fajita pasta. This is one of the easy and nutritious family meals she turns to on busy evenings. We think it would also be delicious with other proteins, like ground turkey, shrimp, or beans!
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1.25 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1.5 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 2 large bell peppers (red, yellow, orange, or a combination), sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2.5 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1 (10 oz) can diced tomatoes with mild green chiles
- 10 oz pasta of your choice, preferably a short shape like elbows or penne
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 scallion, diced
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
- 1 avocado, diced
- Heat half of the olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat.
- Season the chicken with half of the seasonings (cumin, salt, paprika, chili powder, garlic powder) and saute until it’s cooked through. Transfer the chicken to a plate and set aside.
- Add the remaining olive oil, chopped onion, and peppers to the pan and stir in the remaining seasonings. Cook until the onion is translucent and the peppers have softened, about 10 minutes.
- Add the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- In a separate pot, combine the chicken broth, tomatoes, and pasta. Bring to a boil and then cook according to package directions or until the pasta is al dente.
- Add the cooked chicken and the vegetable mixture to the pasta and stir to combine.
- Mix in the sour cream. Top with avocado, scallions, and cilantro to serve.