Dinner Tonight: March 29, 2018
40 Clove Garlic Chicken
This recipe is originally from Jane Brody’s Good Food Book and was shared with us by the Darvick family.
- 8 chicken legs and thighs, skinned and separated
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 large onion, coarsely chopped (1 cup)
- 4 ribs celery, sliced into 1/4-inch pieces (1 1/2 to 2 cups)
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley OR 2 teaspoons dried parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 1/2 cup dry vermouth
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, if desired
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- dash nutmeg
- 40 garlic cloves, separated but not peeled
- Brush the chicken pieces on all sides with the oil.
- In a large casserole or heavy Dutch oven, combine the onions, celery, parsley and tarragon. Lay the chicken pieces over the vegetables and herbs, and pour the vermouth over the chicken. Sprinkle the chicken with salt, pepper and nutmeg. Distribute the unpeeled garlic cloves throughout the casserole, tucking them under the chicken pieces. Cover the casserole tightly (you might fit a piece of foil around the top under the lid).
- Bake the chicken in a preheated 325 degree oven for 1 1/2 hours. Do not uncover the casserole until this time has elapsed.
- Serve the chicken with the garlic, advising the diners to squeeze the flesh from its papery coat. The garlic is especially tasty when eaten on crusty bread.