Dinner Tonight: January 1, 2020
Black Eyed Pea and Collard Greens Soup
This recipe comes from the Eating Smart, Being Active initiative at Colorado State University.
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- ⅛ teaspoon garlic powder
- 4 ounces deli ham, diced
- ½ pound collard greens, stems removed and chopped*
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can broth (chicken or vegetable)
- 2 (15 ounce) cans black-eyed peas, drained and rinsed
- ½ to 1 cup water
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- Wash the collard greens.
- Drain and rinse the black-eyed peas.
- Collect, chop, dice, and measure all ingredients before starting to prepare the recipe.
- Place oil, onion, garlic, and ham in a large pot with a lid over medium heat. Stir occasionally until onion is clear, about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add collard greens and broth to the pot.
- Cover and simmer for about 20 minutes until the collard greens are tender.
- Place half of the black-eyed peas in a small bowl, and mash with a fork. Stir the mashed and whole peas into the soup.
- Add ½ cup of water. If thinner soup is desired, add another ½ cup of water. Simmer for another 5 minutes.
- Stir in vinegar just before serving.
- Taste, and add a small amount of salt and black pepper if desired.
- Refrigerate leftovers within 2 hours. Eat within 3 to 5 days.