Dinner Tonight: February 18, 2019
Greek Lentil Orzo Salad
Brenda Thompson of Meal Planning Magic shared this recipe for a satisfying vegetarian main dish. However, if needed, you could add grilled chicken or shrimp to help encourage selective eaters.
- 1 ¼ cups orzo pasta
- 6 T olive oil, divided
- ¾ cup dry red or green lentils, rinsed and drained
- ⅓ cup red wine vinegar
- 4 small cloves of garlic
- ½ cup green olives, pitted and chopped
- ¾ cup red onion, diced (about one small onion)
- 1 cup fresh tomatoes, diced
- 1 cup cucumber, diced
- 1 ½ cups feta cheese
- Bring a large pot of water to boil. Add orzo pasta and cook until al dente (about 8-10 minutes). Drain.
- Transfer pasta to a large bowl and mix in 1 tablespoon olive oil. Cover and refrigerate until cool.
- Place lentils into a small saucepan. Cover with water and bring to a boil. Cover and simmer over low heat until lentils are tender, about 15-20 minutes. Drain and set aside to cool.
- Combine remaining olive oil, vinegar and garlic in a small bowl. In bowl with pasta, add cooked lentils, oil mixture and remaining ingredients (olives through feta cheese). Stir until combined well.
- Cover and refrigerate at least two hours. This salad is also really good the next day.