Dinner Tonight: April 13, 2020
This recipe was shared with us by the Alaska Department of Health and Human Services, and appears in their Cook With Your Children While Using WIC Foods cookbook.
- 4T butter
- 2 large onions, finely chopped
- 2T flour
- 3c chicken broth
- 5 medium potatoes, peeled and diced into small cubes
- 3c milk
- ½ c frozen or canned green peas
- 3 eggs
- 4oz cream cheese, softened
- ¼ c chopped cilantro (optional)
- Melt butter in large saucepan. Cook onions until soft but not brown.
- Stir in flour and mix until smooth
- Add chicken broth gradually, stirring constantly until boiling
- Add potatoes, pepper, and salt, simmer for 15 min.
- Add milk and peas and continue cooking gently for 5 min
- Meanwhile beat eggs and cream cheese together in bowl, then gradually add 2 cups of the hot soup to the egg mixture, beating constantly to avoid curdling.
- Returned to contents of the bowl to the saucepan and heat through, but do not boil.
- Serve with a garnish of cilantro.