Flash back to your own childhood with these delicious tuna melts! The original tuna melt recipe calls for processed American cheese, but you can use whatever cheese you like (cheddar, swiss, provolone—it’s all good).
This recipe comes to us from The Texas A&M University System’s Expanded Food and Nutrition Education Program. Check out other recipes here.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Drain tuna and break the meat apart with a fork.
- Wash and chop the celery and dice the cheese.
- Mix tuna, celery, cheese, light mayonnaise, dried onion, salt and pepper into a medium mixing bowl with a wooden spoon.
- Spread tuna mixture on 6 of the pieces of whole wheat bread and place a single slice of bread on top of each (making a total of 6 sandwiches).
- Put each sandwich on a square of aluminum foil, then wrap the foil around sandwiches, folding edges securely.
- Bake about 20 minutes or until hot in the middle. Cool slightly before serving.