Soft Black Bean Tacos
This recipe is from the Vermont WIC Eat Well Cookbook.
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin seeds
- 2 (15-16 ounce) cans black beans, with liquid
- ½ cup water
- 8 soft corn tortillas
- 1 cup fresh or bottled salsa
- ½ cup shredded cheese (try cheddar, Colby or Monterey Jack)
1. Heat oil in a large, heavy nonstick skillet on medium-high. Add chili powder and ground cumin. Allow spices to cook for 30 seconds.
2. Stir in black beans and ½ cup water. Mashing the beans with the back of your spoon, cook for 10 to 15 minutes. If they seem too dry, add more water. Remove from heat.
3. Heat the tortillas, two or three at a time, in a dry skillet on medium-high for a few minutes, or in the microwave for about 20-30 seconds.
4. Top tortillas with black beans, about two rounded tablespoons each. Spoon on some salsa and sprinkle on cheese. Fold the filled tortillas in half and serve.