These cute grilled skewers are a fun and easy dessert for summertime – and especially good for Memorial Day or July 4th cookouts, because of their color combination! You can substitute bananas for the marshmallows if you want an all-fruit skewer, but we like the classic flavor of a toasted marshmallow to bring a little extra dose of sweetness and nostalgia to our picnics.
1. Combine blueberries, water, sugar, and lemon juice in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil; reduce to a simmer and cook for 20-25 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the berries have broken down and the sauce is syrupy. Remove from the heat and set aside.
2. Preheat a grill to moderate heat.
3. Thread strawberries and marshmallows onto skewers in an alternating pattern.
4. Brush the grill grates lightly with oil to ensure that the skewers won’t stick.
5. Grill the skewers for about 2-4 minutes, turning frequently, until the marshmallows are lightly toasted but not falling apart and the strawberries are slightly softened.
6. Drizzle the warm skewers with blueberry sauce and serve.