Quinoa and Black Bean Bowls
This recipe for quinoa and black bean bowls was shared by Connie Liakos, MS, RDN, CSSD, LD. She recommends serving fruit alongside these bowls to provide a quick, tasty all-in-one balanced meal. These bowls are a great Meatless Monday option and also particularly good for fueling young athletes on the go!
- 1 cup cooked quinoa, chilled (cooked sorghum is another delicious, healthy grain that can be used in this bowl)
- 1/2 cup black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 – 1 cup fresh seasonal vegetables (e.g. chopped tomatoes, peppers, broccoli or cauliflower florets, squash, onions, garlic, etc.)
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
- 1/4 avocado, cut into chunks
- Juice of 1/2 fresh lemon
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- Seasonings as desired (e.g. basil, oregano, dash of cayenne or hot sauce, etc.)
- Mix all ingredients.
- Toss or cover and shake to mix.
- Chill for at least one hour to blend flavors.