Old Fashioned Bread Pudding
You can actually make this bread pudding in the microwave as well as in the oven! Simply put it in a microwave-safe dish and microwave on high in 5 minute intervals, rotating the dish a 1/4 turn between each interval, until the edges are firm and center is almost set. (You may want to use a little less milk for the microwaved version.)
This recipe comes to us from the University of Minnesota Cooperative Extension Service and the USDA. Check out more recipes here.
- 5 slices bread, white or wheat
- 2 Tbsp. butter
- 1/4 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/3 cup sugar, white or brown
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups nonfat milk
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spread one side of bread with butter. Sprinkle with cinnamon.
- Cut into 1-inch cubes.
- In lightly sprayed casserole dish, combine bread, sugar and raisins.
- In bowl, blend eggs, milk, salt and vanilla. Pour liquid over bread mixture and mix lightly.
- Bake uncovered until a knife inserted in the pudding comes out clean (about 1 hour).
- Serve warm OR cold.