Mushroom and Pumpkin Risotto
Get all the cozy goodness of mushroom and pumpkin risotto in this easy no-stir version from our friends at GoodCook. Canned pumpkin, white wine and arborio rice bake up in a Dutch oven, resulting in the creamiest risotto ever. Serve this pumpkin risotto in bowls topped with sautéed mushrooms and parmesan for an autumn-inspired comfort-ready meal. You can also serve this as a holiday side dish for a different and delicious twist on your traditional dinner!
Serves 4 as a main dish; 8 or more as a side
- 8 TBSP Butter, divided
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1/2 cups arborio rice
- 1 (15-oz) can pumpkin puree
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 3 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- 2 TBSP olive oil
- 12 ounces mushrooms, cut into large pieces
- 3 sprigs thyme
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes, for garnish (if desired)
- Parmesan cheese, for garnish
- Heat oven to 350°F.
- In a Dutch oven, over medium heat, melt 4 Tablespoons butter. Add the garlic and onion, cooking for 3 minutes, or until onion is translucent. Add salt and pepper. Stir in arborio rice and cook for 1 minute. Slowly add white wine and stir until the wine is nearly absorbed by the rice. Add the pumpkin puree and broth. Stir until the liquid is just beginning to simmer.
- Cover with a tight-fitting lid and place in the oven. Cook for 25-30 minutes, until the rice is just cooked and tender.
- While rice is cooking, in a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat until just beginning to smoke. Arrange the mushrooms in the skillet in a single layer and cook, until bottom side is golden brown, about 3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper, and continue to cook, stirring often, until golden brown all over, about 5 minutes more. Reduce heat to medium and add butter, thyme sprigs, and garlic to skillet. Spoon butter over mushrooms until butter smells nutty, about 4 minutes.
- Remove the mushrooms from the skillet with a slotted spoon, and serve on top of the risotto. Garnish with parmesan before serving.