Our mac and cheese calls for spinach, but you can substitute any veggie you choose! We love macaroni and cheese with tomatoes, green peas or broccoli. What’s your favorite veggie to add?
This recipe was provided by Ramona Hamblin. Check out more of her recipes in her cookbook: just cook here’s how.
- Cook the pasta according to package directions.
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Melt 1/4 cup of butter in a large skillet, whisk in flour, and cook for 2 minutes.
- Slowly add milk while whisking.
- Bring milk mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat until it thickens. Whisk often to avoid burning.
- Add mustard, paprika, and cheese.
- Butter a 13×9″ casserole dish and put half of the macaroni and cheese in.
- Spread the spinach on top.
- Cover the spinach with the remaining macaroni and cheese.
- Melt 3 Tblsps. butter in a medium skillet and pour crushed crackers in. Stir quickly to incorporate.
- Cover the macaroni and cheese with the cracker crumbs and bake, covered, for 45 minutes.