This recipe comes from mom, cooking instructor and “real” food advocate April Hamilton who writes, “No need for a mix! Homemade pancakes are so easy—this is my most requested recipe! I like to encourage kids to make an “X” and an “O” with syrup to help as a ‘serving size.’ ” Visit April’s website at Aprilskitchencounter.com.
- With a whisk combine the dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- Add the buttermilk, egg and oil to the dry ingredients and whisk together until smooth.*
- Use a paper towel to rub a little oil all over a griddle or large frying pan. Heat the griddle or large frying pan over medium heat.
- For each pancake pour about 2 tablespoons of batter onto the heated griddle or frying pan.*
- Flip when the pancakes begin to bubble on the top and the bottom is golden brown. Don’t rush the flipping or you’ll just end up with a big mess. Cook the second side for about 1 minute.
*To make blueberry pancakes, sprinkle a few blueberries on each pancake immediately after you have poured the batter on the griddle. Continue as above.
*Add 1 peeled, shredded apple and ½ teaspoon cinnamon to finished batter if you like. Cook as directed above.