These “doughnuts” are a snap to make, and they’re filled with a surprise healthy ingredient: apple slices! Try them for a family breakfast, breakfast for dinner night, or a wholesome dessert.
1. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and nutmeg.
2. Add the egg and vanilla and mix.
3. Add the apple cider and whisk slowly until a smooth batter forms.
4. Melt the butter in a skillet over medium-high heat.
5. Dip the apple slices into the batter to coat them. Let excess batter drip off.
6. When the butter in the skillet starts to bubble, add the apple slices in a single layer. You may have to work in batches.
7. Let the apple slices cook for about 2 minutes on the first side, just until golden brown and set. Flip and cook for another 1-2 minutes on the second side, until golden brown.
8. Remove the apple “doughnuts” from the pan and set on paper towels.
9. In a shallow dish, mix together the cinnamon and granulated sugar. Toss the apple “doughnuts” in the cinnamon sugar and serve.