The flavors of the holiday season are all wrapped up in this cozy side dish that’s simple enough to make for a weeknight family dinner. You can use clementines or tangerines in place of the orange if that’s what you’ve got on hand, or try fresh sage instead of the rosemary.
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/2 cup finely chopped red onion
1 tsp. salt
1 1/2 cups long-grain brown rice
1 cup fresh cranberries
3 cups chicken or vegetable stock
1/2 cup orange juice
3 tablespoons honey
1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
1 tsp. orange zest
1/2 tsp. black pepper
1. Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onions and salt, and saute for 3-4 minutes, until softened.
2. Add the rice and cook, stirring occasionally, for about 5 minutes, until it’s lightly toasted.
3. Add the cranberries and stir to combine.
4. Stir together the chicken or vegetable stock, orange juice, and honey. Add to the rice mixture.
5. Add the rosemary, orange zest, and black pepper. Stir well.
6. Cover with a tight-fitting lid and let the rice come to a boil.
7. Reduce the heat to low and simmer, covered, for 40-45 minutes, until the rice is cooked and the liquid has been absorbed.