Berry Crumble with Whipped Cream
Crumbles are a very adaptable dessert. This recipe uses fresh berries, but try it with fresh or frozen peaches, cherries or mango.
- 6 cups mixed berries (strawberries, raspberries, blueberries, etc. – frozen are fine)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Butter a 9-inch Pyrex pie plate.
- Gently combine the berries with the sugar, flour and cinnamon; place in the prepared pie plate.
- Prepare the topping: Combine the oats, flour, both sugars and salt in a bowl. Use a pastry blender or 2 knives to work in the butter until topping resembles coarse meal. Sprinkle evenly over the berries.
- Place the pie plate on a baking sheet. Bake in the center of the oven until the fruit is bubbling and the topping is golden brown, about 1 hour. Remove the crisp to a rack to cool slightly. Serve in dessert bowls with whipped cream or ice cream.