These cookies are nice on their own but really shine next to a scoop of mango sorbet or vanilla ice cream.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Make the cookie dough: With a hand mixer, cream together butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Blend in the egg and zest. With the mixer on low speed, blend in the salt, flour and cornmeal.
- Divide the dough into two portions and roll each into a log (about 1 1/2 to 2 inches) wrapped in parchment or wax paper. Chill in the refrigerator for several hours, preferably overnight (you can also wrap the dough and freeze it at this time).
- Slice the cookie dough into 1/4″ slices. Lay them 1 1/2″ apart on a parchment lined or greased baking sheet. Bake 10-14 minutes, until the cookies are browned on the edges and bottom.
- Let the cookies cool while you make the glaze.
- Stir 2 tablespoons of lemon juice into the confectioner’s sugar. Stir in more as needed to bring the glaze to a pourable consistency.
- Spoon or drizzle the glaze over the cookies.