Banana Chocolate Chip Mug Cakes
This easy, single-serving recipe is a great one for kids to make on their own. It first appeared in our book Eat, Laugh, Talk: The Family Dinner Playbook.
Makes one individual mug cake
- 1/2 ripe banana
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 3 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons chocolate chips
- In a standard-sized household mug, beat together the mashed banana and egg with a fork.
- Add the milk, vanilla, maple syrup, and softened butter. Stir well.
- Stir in the baking powder and flour, mixing just until the batter is well combined.
- Microwave for 1 minute, then stir again. Add the chocolate chips and put the mug back into the microwave.
- Microwave for an additional 2 minutes, until the cake is set. Be careful — mug cakes can be hot when they first come out! We recommend letting the cake sit for a minute or two to cool before digging in.