Build Your Own Baked Nachos
Team Member Bri says her teen and tween boys love to see baked nachos on the dinner table. “We don’t really use a recipe so much as a method,” she says. “Sometimes we make them with leftover cooked chicken, sometimes we use taco meat, and sometimes it’s just beans or veggies. We kind of like to toss on whatever’s in the fridge that might work. It’s a great way to use up odds and ends!” To serve the nachos, she just puts the sheet pan on heatproof pads in the middle of the dinner table, and the family sits around the tray, snacking and chatting.
- 1 bag (about 12 oz) tortilla chips of your choosing
- 4 green onions, diced
- 2 medium tomatoes, diced
- 1/2 medium bell pepper of any color, diced
- Additional toppings of your choice: Cooked diced or shredded chicken, pulled pork, taco meat, black beans, refried beans, corn kernels, jalapenos…you’re only limited by your imagination!
- 8 ounces shredded Cheddar Jack cheese
- 1/3 cup chopped cilantro
- 2 cups shredded romaine or iceberg lettuce
- 2 avocados, diced
- Salsa and sour cream, for serving
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Spread out tortilla chips in an even layer on a rimmed baking sheet.
- Top the chips with the sliced green onions, diced tomatoes, peppers, and any other vegetables, meat or beans you’ve chosen.
- Finish assembling the nachos by adding an even layer of shredded cheese over the top. Bake the nachos at 400 degrees for about 10-15 minutes, until the cheese is melted and the chips are extra crispy around the edges.
- Top the baked nachos with the chopped cilantro, shredded lettuce and avocado before serving. Provide salsa or sour cream on the side for dipping!