Baked Chicken with Vegetables
Get your junior chefs involved in scrubbing the vegetables, measuring and mixing water and spices, or whipping up a whole grain side dish like brown rice or couscous. If you like, add olives and/or 3 quartered tomatoes to this dish.
This baked chicken recipe comes to us from the University of Wisconsin Cooperative Extension Service and the USDA. Check out more recipes here.
- 4 potatoes, sliced
- 6 carrots, sliced
- 1 large onion, quartered
- 1 chicken, cleaned and cut into pieces, skin removed
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tsp. thyme
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 1 to 4 cloves garlic (to taste), peeled and cut in half
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spray roasting pan with cooking spray or grease with canola oil.
- Place potatoes, garlic, carrots and onions in a large roasting pan.
- Put chicken pieces on top of the vegetables.
- Mix water, thyme and pepper. Pour over chicken and vegetables. Bake until browned and tender, about one hour. Spoon juices over chicken once or twice during cooking. If you’ve got a meat thermometer, the chicken should register 165 degrees in its thickest part.