Slow Cooker Beef Stew
- 2 lbs. stew beef, in bite-sized cubes
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 1 1/2 cups beef broth
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 2 waxy potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled and sliced into 1/4 inch coins
- 2 celery stalks, sliced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 can (15 oz) diced tomatoes with juice
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- black pepper
- Place the beef and flour in a bag (a zip-top bag works great for this) and shake to coat.
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot. Add the meat and brown on all sides, about 4-5 minutes.
- Place the browned meat in the slow cooker.
- Pour the wine and broth into the pot you used to cook the meat. Cook for a minute or two, stirring and scraping the browned bits off the bottom of the pot with a spoon. Pour the liquid into the slow cooker.
- Add the remaining ingredients to the slow cooker, stir, and cover. Cook on low for 6-8 hours until the meat and vegetables are tender and the flavors have melded.