Shrimp Fried Rice
- 1 lb raw shrimp, peeled and deveined, tails removed
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 tbsp butter
- 2 eggs
- 1 bag (16 oz) frozen mixed vegetables
- Olive oil
- 4 cups cooked rice (preferably leftover)
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp Chinese 5-spice blend
- Melt the butter in a large pot over medium heat. Add the shrimp and the garlic, and cook until the shrimp is pink. Remove the shrimp and set aside.
- Spray a small non-stick skillet (or grease lightly with oil or butter, as you choose). Add the two eggs to the skillet and scramble over medium heat. Set aside.
- Return the larger pot to the stove, add a drizzle of olive oil, and cook the vegetables and five spice powder over medium to medium-high heat until the vegetables are warmed through and slightly softened (about 5 minutes).
- Add the rice to the pot and mix well, stirring constantly to “fry” the rice until it’s warmed through — about 1-2 minutes.
- Gradually add the soy sauce, stirring well. Taste as you go and adjust — you may want more or less soy sauce in the finished dish, depending on your family’s preferences.
- Remove the pot from the heat, add the shrimp and eggs, and serve.