Dinner Tonight: September 16, 2016
This recipe was provided to us by our friends at the Home Baking Association. As the HBA points out, the average delivery pizza costs $16.13, and that’s before delivery fees and tip. You can create this homemade version in just 30 minutes for $10 or less, and since you’ll have control over the ingredients, your pizza can be healthier than the takeout variety. For extra fun, let each family member make an individual-sized pizza and pile on their favorite toppings — going heavy on the veggies for a yummy, well-balanced meal!
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 to 1 1/2 cups whole-wheat flour
- 1 Tablespoon sugar
- 1 package fast-rising yeast
- 1 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons vegetable or olive oil
- 1 (8-oz) can tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1/2 tsp. each dry oregano, garlic and basil
- 1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan or Romano cheese
- Sliced vegetables or meats, as desired
- In a large bowl, combine 2 cups flour, sugar, undissolved yeast and salt.
- Heat water and oil until warm (90-105 degrees). Stir into dry ingredients. Stir in only enough remaing flour to make a rough ball of dough. Turn out onto a floured surface or knead in the bowl. (You may not use all the flour.) If dough is too dry or stiff, knead in 1-2 T. water.
- Cover; let rest 10 minutes. (Or, refrigerate in an oiled sealed container overnight, punching once and reforming the dough after an hour.)
- Divide dough in half. Shape each half into a ball. Roll or press each into a 12-14 inch circle. Place on greased pizza pans or baking sheets.
- Brush or rub with garlic and oil. Prick dough with fork; let rest for 10 minutes.
- Par-bake crusts at 450 degrees for 5-7 minutes.
- To make the sauce, combine the tomato sauce, tomato paste, oregano, garlic and basil. Spread the sauce on the par-baked crusts.
- Top with cheese and additional toppings of your choice. Bake on wire racks at 450 degrees for 10 minutes or until the cheese is melted and bubbly.