Dinner Tonight: October 26, 2020
Recipe and photo courtesy of Good and Cheap by Leanne Brown. Leanne notes that leftovers are great for making burritos.
- 2 Tablespoons vegetable oil or butter
- 1 medium-size onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, stemmed, seeded and chopped
- 3 stalks of celery, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- ½ small green chile, finely chopped
- 2 large tomatoes, chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- ½ tsp dried thyme
- ½ tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce or soy sauce
- 3/4 cup long grain rice
- 3 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Place a large, heavy-bottomed pot over medium-high heat and add the oil. After it gets hot, add the onion, bell pepper and celery and cook for about 5 minutes, until they become translucent but not brown.
- Add the garlic, chile, tomatoes, bay leaves, paprika, garlic powder, cayenne, thyme, oregano, salt, pepper and Worcestershire sauce. Let everything cook until some of the tomato juice releases, about 1 minute.
- Add the rice and slowly pour in the broth. Lower the heat to medium and let the dish cook until the rice absorbs all the liquid, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Taste and adjust the salt, pepper and any other spices.