Dinner Tonight: November 25, 2019
This veggie-packed pasta recipe comes to us from our friends at the Recipe for Success Foundation. You can customize it for your family’s tastes by substituting any vegetables you prefer. Zucchini? Squash? Green beans? Tomatoes? Almost anything will work in this endlessly adaptable dish!
- ½ package fettuccini-style dried noodles, cooked according to package directions
- ¼ cup olive oil, divided
- 2 carrots, minced
- 2 ribs celery, minced
- 1 small red onion, minced
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 5 stalks parsley minced
- 1 green onion, sliced thin
- 1 red bell pepper, julienne
- ½ bunch asparagus, tough stalks removed and tops cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1 cup broccoli flowers, steamed for 3-4 minutes until bright green
- ½ cup peas (fresh or frozen)
- 2 ounces fresh spinach leaves, torn into bite-sized pieces
- 4-6 basil leaves, chiffonade
- 1/8 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Collect and measure all of your ingredients to create a mise en place.
- Heat a large sauté pan to medium high heat and add ½ the olive oil; let heat up for 1 – 2 minutes.
- Add minced carrots to the pan and sauté for 2 minutes.
- Add minced celery and continue cooking 2 minutes.
- Stir in the minced onion and cook until it starts to seem clear (about 5 minutes.) Add salt.
- Add the minced garlic and continue cooking for about 2 minutes, or until they release their wonderful aroma.
- Stir in the minced parsley.
- Gently add the green onion, bell pepper, asparagus, and broccoli and cook for 3-4 minutes until all the veggies turn even brighter.
- Stir in the fresh or frozen peas and spinach and remove pan from heat.
- Add the pasta and the rest of the olive oil, and toss to coat.
- Divide into shallow soup bowls. Garnish with basil leaves, grated Parmesan cheese and a sprinkling of cracked pepper. Serve immediately.