Dinner Tonight: March 26, 2019
With tostadas, everyone gets access to the same ingredients, but each person gets to pick only the ones that he or she wants. Perfecto!
- 12 corn tortillas
- 2 (15 to 30 oz.) cans of re-fried beans
- 8 oz. grated cheese
- Half a head of lettuce, sliced or chopped
- One or two tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- Mexican salsa or hot sauce, to taste
- One ripe avocado, sliced or chopped
- 1/2 chopped onion
- Chopped olives. to taste
- Shredded chicken or beef (leftovers are a great option), to taste
- Sour cream, to taste
- Heat oil in a heavy skillet on med/high heat. When oil is hot (a drop of water immediately sizzles), place one or two tortillas in the pan. Turn them over soon after adding to the oil, and every minute or so until crisp slightly browned. Each tortilla should stay in about 3-4 minutes. After removing tortillas from the oil, lay them on a paper towel to drain.
- Heat beans on low heat; stir frequently.
- When beans are hot, spread one or two tablespoons on each fried tortilla and place bean-covered tortillas on each person’s plate.
- Arrange lettuce, tomato, cheese, salsa and any other condiments in bowls and let your family members create a masterpiece!