Dinner Tonight: July 31, 2020
For those nights when you need something quick and easy, extra fun, or easy to take on the go….Walking Tacos are a great solution! You can even pack up the fixings, with the meat mixture in a Thermos, for picnic dinners or quick meals on the soccer practice sidelines. Use whatever bagged chips your family prefers, and customize to your tastes with different toppings. You can even make a vegetarian version by substituting additional beans for the meat.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound ground beef or turkey
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup prepared salsa
- 1 can (15 oz) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 6 single-serving bags of tortilla chips, corn chips or similar (such as Fritos, Doritos, etc)
- Shredded cheese, lettuce, diced tomatoes, or other taco toppings you enjoy
- In a large skillet, warm the oil over medium heat. Add the ground beef or turkey and onions and cook, stirring frequently, until the onions are translucent and the meat is beginning to brown.
- Add the chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, salt and paprika. Stir well. Pour in the salsa and beans and mix thoroughly.
- Simmer the mixture for 5-7 minutes, stirring occasionally, until everything is heated through.
- To make walking tacos, open each individual bag of chips. Scoop some of the meat mixture into the bag. Top with cheese, lettuce, tomatoes or any other toppings you like.