Dinner Tonight: July 18, 2016
Open-Faced Caprese Sandwiches
This recipe comes to us from Laura Jones, a member of FCCLA and teen advocate for family dinners. You can customize these sandwiches by offering additional vegetables (or meats, if you prefer) and varying the cheeses, but the classic tomato-basil-mozzarella combination is always a winner!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 8 slices (about 1/2 in. thick) crusty Italian bread
- 3 medium ripe tomatoes, sliced
- 1 pound fresh mozzarella cheese, sliced thinly
- 16 medium basil leaves
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- Prepare a grill for medium heat (350° to 450°). Combine 1 tbsp. oil and the garlic and brush onto 1 side of bread.
- Lay bread oiled side down on grill and cook until slightly toasted, about 2 minutes.
- Turn bread over, lay tomato slices on bread to fit, overlapping if needed, and then lay cheese slices over tomatoes. Cover grill and cook until cheese starts to melt, about 4 minutes.
- Transfer sandwiches to a platter. Put 2 basil leaves over each sandwich and drizzle with remaining 1 tbsp. oil and the vinegar. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.