Dinner Tonight: July 14, 2023
Freezable Filled Potato Skins
These freezer-friendly potato skins from The Batch Lady are fun as either a main dish or a side! Serve them with steamed broccoli and a salad for an easy dinner on a busy night. You could even heat them up for a family snack if you’re short on time for a shared meal.
- 6 medium russet potatoes, baked and cooled
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
- Salt and pepper
- Optional mix-ins: Chopped green onion or chive, cooked crumbled bacon, corn kernels, diced cooked chicken or ham
- Cut cooled baked potatoes in half lengthwise. Carefully scoop out the center without damaging the skin, and transfer the scooped-out potatoes to a large bowl.
- Put the potato skins on a rimmed baking sheet.
- Add the cream cheese, salt, pepper and milk to the bowl of potatoes, and mash until creamy.
- Stir in any optional added ingredients, such as chopped green onions, chives or bacon bits.
- Fill the potato skins with the cheese and potato mixture. Top with the shredded cheese.
- Place the tray of filled potato skins in the freezer for about 1 hour. Once they’re frozen solid, you can transfer them to a container or zip-top bag with as much air removed as possible for long-term storage.
- To heat and serve: Defrost the potato skins before using. Place them on a baking tray and cook in a preheated 450 degree oven for 15-20 minutes, until they’re slightly crisp and heated all the way through.