Dinner Tonight: January 15, 2019
This recipe originally appeared on Eat Well, Be Well courtesy of Arizona WIC.
- 1 ½ pounds chicken pieces, skin removed
- 2 cups shredded iceberg or romaine lettuce
- 1 ½ cups cooked pinto beans or 1 15-ounce can of low sodium pinto
- ½ cup thinly sliced radishes
- 8 thin slices white onion
- 4 bolillos or french bread rolls
- 1 cup fresh salsa
- Shredded Monterey Jack cheese or crumbled queso añejo
- Wash hands with soap and warm water. Wash fresh vegetables before preparing.
- Place chicken in a large pot. Cover with water. Bring to a boil over high heat.
- Reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer, uncovered, until chicken is cook thoroughly (about 30 minutes).
- Drain chicken and let cool.
- Shred chicken.
- Place beans in a small saucepan. Cook over medium heat until warm.
- Lightly mash beans with a fork; Set aside.
- Cut each bolillo or each french roll in half lengthwise.
- Divide chicken, beans, lettuce, radishes and onion evenly into four servings.
- Place one serving of ingredients on bottom half of each roll. Top with salsa and sprinkle with cheese.
- Place other half of the roll on top.
- Serve immediately.