Dinner Tonight: December 9, 2016
Dress-it-in-a-bowl Caesar Salad
Keep these ingredients on hand so you can quickly toss this amazing salad whenever the Caesar craving hits. Add grilled chicken and/or croutons if desired. Any way you want it!
This recipe was originally shared with us by Chef April Hamilton of April’s Kitchen Counter, and appears in her book, Counter Intelligence the Best of April’s Kitchen.
Juice of 1 lemon
1 head of Romaine lettuce
1 teaspoon mustard
A pinch of salt and a few cracks of pepper
3 Tablespoons Extra virgin olive oil
½ cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
For Grilled Chicken:
1 ½ lb skinless boneless chicken breast halves
¼ cup olive oil
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon black pepper
2 garlic cloves, smashed
1 Tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- Wash and dry the lettuce (a salad spinner is a big time saver!) Keep chilled until ready to serve.
- Mix the lemon, mustard, salt and pepper in a large salad bowl. Gradually whisk in the Extra virgin olive oil, then add about 2 Tablespoons Parmesan.
- Tear the lettuce and add it to the bowl. Toss the salad, then top with remaining parmesan. Add grilled chicken and/or croutons, if desired
(Special equipment: a well-seasoned large ridged grill pan)
- Combine olive oil, smashed garlic, salt and pepper, and lemon juice in a large bowl.
- Place chicken between two sheets of plastic wrap (or two cutting mats) and GENTLY pound with a meat mallet to even ½-inch thickness.
- Add to marinade in bowl.
- While chicken marinates (just a few minutes), heat lightly oiled grill pan over moderately high heat until hot but not smoking. Grill chicken, turning over once, until just cooked through, 10 to 15 minutes total.
- Transfer chicken to a cutting board and slice crosswise into ½-inch pieces. Place chicken on top of salad and serve.
- Tear a baguette into bite-size pieces.
- Place in a large bowl and drizzle with about 2 Tablespoons olive oil.
- Smash 3 cloves of garlic and toss with bread.
- Spread out on a baking sheet and bake at 350 for 10 minutes. Carefully toss and turn the croutons and continue baking for 5-10 minutes longer until croutons are crunchy and golden.