These Asian-inspired wraps are quick and easy to make, thanks to the use of rice noodles. We call for mushrooms and carrots in the recipe, but you can use your family’s favorites or provide a variety of toppings so everyone at the table can customize their own lettuce wraps!
1 head Romaine lettuce
2 Tablespoons coconut oil
1 1/2 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken (you can use breasts or thighs), cut into 1-inch cubes
4 cloves garlic, minced
12 oz. mushrooms (any variety), sliced
1/4 cup soy sauce or tamari, preferably low sodium
2 tablespoons honey
4 oz. brown rice noodles (mei fun)
1 cup shredded carrots
1. Heat the coconut oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and garlic and saute for 3-4 minutes, until the chicken starts to turn opaque.
2. Add the mushrooms, stir, and continue to saute until the chicken is fully cooked, about 8 minutes total.
3. While the chicken is cooking, place the rice noodles in a large bowl and pour boiling water over them until they’re fully covered. Cover the bowl (a dinner plate works well for this) and allow the noodles to steep in the hot water until they’re cooked, about 5 minutes. Drain thoroughly.
4. Whisk the soy sauce and honey together and pour over the chicken mixture. Add the cooked noodles and toss to combine.
5. Fill individual lettuce leaves with the chicken and noodle mixture. Top with shredded carrots or whatever other toppings your family enjoys!