Dinner Tonight: August 17, 2020
Creamy Zucchini Fettuccine
This recipe is from Leanne Brown’s cookbook Good and Cheap.
- Salt, to taste
- 8 oz fettuccine
- 4 Tablespoons butter
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- ½ tsp. Chile flakes
- 2 small zucchini, finely diced
- Zest of 1 lemon
- ¼ cup of heavy cream
- ½ cup grated Romano or Parmesan cheese
- Pepper, to taste
- Bring a pot of water to a boil over high heat. Salt the water liberally. This is how pasta gets all its flavor, so don’t be shy! Most of the salt won’t end up in the pasta.
- Cook the pasta according to the package directions. I drain the pasta just before it’s finished so it doesn’t get mushy when I add it to the vegetable pan and it gets cooked a little more.
- Meanwhile, melt 1 tablespoon of the butter in a pan over medium heat. Add the garlic and chile flakes. Let them sizzle for 30 seconds to 1 minute, then add the zucchini. Stir the vegetables to coat. Cook, stirring occasionally, until some of the water has cooked off and the veggies are tender, 5-7 minutes. Young summer zucchini don’t need much cooking. Add the lemon zest. Stir!
- Drain the fettuccine and add it to the pan along with the remaining 3 tablespoons of butter, the cream, and most of the cheese. Toss the fettuccine around the pan, and add salt and lots of freshly ground pepper to taste. Top with a bit more cheese and serve immediately.