Great for a family dinner OR a family breakfast, this French Toast dish is a quick throw-together with a balance of sweet and savory flavors. Serve it plain with bacon, ham, or turkey to make it more savory; pour maple syrup over the top and garnish with berries to bring out the sweetness.
1. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Lightly butter an 8×8 baking dish and set aside.
2. Melt the tablespoon of butter in a medium skillet. Add the sliced apples and brown sugar and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5-7 minutes or until the apples are softened.
3. In a medium bowl, whisk together the milk, eggs, cinnamon, and nutmeg.
4. Spread the cooked apple mixture evenly over the bottom of the prepared baking dish.
5. Layer the bread on top of the apple mixture, with the bread slices standing up at a slight angle. Sprinkle cheese evenly between the slices.
6. Pour the egg and milk mixture evenly over the bread. Press down firmly to help it soak.
7. Bake the French Toast at 400 degrees for 20-25 minutes, until the bread is lightly golden brown and the liquid is absorbed. Serve warm.
8 slices (1/2 inch thick) challah or brioche bread
1 tablespoon unsalted butter, plus more for greasing the pan
2 medium apples, thinly sliced (any variety you like)
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1/2 cup milk
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1/8 tsp. nutmeg
1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese