This week, only one thing has been on everyone’s minds: The Olympics! Many sports, like artistic gymnastics, have already wrapped up their competitions in Rio; others, like track and field events, are just getting started.
Enjoy a fun conversation about the Olympic Games and the competitive spirit at your dinner table tonight:
- Is there a sport that doesn’t currently qualify as an Olympic event, but that you think should be included at the Games?
- Imagine you were creating a new, non-athletic Olympics. What would you award medals for?
- Do you think competition is a good thing, or not? Does it depend on the situation?
- If you could set a world record in anything, what would it be?
- There’s been a lot of media coverage of individual athletes at this year’s Olympics, from dominant medal-winners like Michael Phelps and Simone Biles to underdogs like Robel Kiros Habte, who finished dead last in his swimming event. Who’s your favorite athlete at the games? Do you tend to root for superstars or underdogs? Why?
- The next Olympics host cities have already been chosen, but where would you like to see the Games held in 2024 and beyond?