Tuscan Bread Soup is perfect for a cold February night. It’s also quick and easy to make, so you’ll be warmed up in no time. Enjoy!
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 fennel bulb, chopped (substitutes: celery and/or fennel seeds)
- 2 cups crusty stale bread, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 can of chopped plum tomatoes
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1/4 cup red wine
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh basil (substitutes: dried basil or dried thyme or parsley)
- 1/2 cup shredded parmesan
- Soak the bread in cold water.
- Chop the onion and fennel, and sauté in olive oil for about 5 minutes.
- Add the minced garlic for about a minute.
- Add the tomatoes, stock and wine.
- Add the tightly squeezed bread and cook for about 40 minutes.
- Add the basil and Parmesan. Cook for another few minutes.
- Serve hot with some extra shredded Parmesan cheese on top.