This recipe was shared with us by the Alaska Department of Health and Human Services, and appears in their Cook With Your Children While Using WIC Foods cookbook.
- Melt butter in large saucepan. Cook onions until soft but not brown.
- Stir in flour and mix until smooth
- Add chicken broth gradually, stirring constantly until boiling
- Add potatoes, pepper, and salt, simmer for 15 min.
- Add milk and peas and continue cooking gently for 5 min
- Meanwhile beat eggs and cream cheese together in bowl, then gradually add 2 cups of the hot soup to the egg mixture, beating constantly to avoid curdling.
- Returned to contents of the bowl to the saucepan and heat through, but do not boil.
- Serve with a garnish of cilantro.