This recipe comes from Dr. Umadevi Naidoo, M.D., award-winning chef and board-certified psychiatrist at Massachusetts General Hospital.
- Quarter the lemons and stuff them into the cavity of the chicken.
- Combine the spices (chili powder through salt) to make a dry rub. Add the dry rub to the olive oil and allow to sit for a few minutes.
- Apply the marinade to the whole surface of the chicken, including rubbing some under the skin. Refrigerate the chicken for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Peel the onions, carrots and turnips and cut into large equal sized pieces. Place around the chicken in a roasting pan.
- Add ¼-cup of cold water to the roasting pan. Roast in oven using V-rack roasting pan with breast side down for 40 minutes.
- After 40 minutes, flip the chicken over. Add 1 cup of water to the pan and return to the oven for 20-25 minutes, or until the temperature of dark meat reaches 170 -175 degrees.
- Rest the roasted chicken for 20 minutes before carving and serving.